The image above is just one of many cheat sheets you’ll find online when you search for ways to write body language. Body language can be a powerful tool in a writer’s kit, revealing a character’s state of mind or emotions even if they deny it verbally. For more about the subject, check out Writers Write’s page. But if you feel you know enough now, just remember…
The Top Five Tips For Using Body Language
- Use body language to add depth to dialogue.
- Use it because more than 50% of human communication is non-verbal.
- Use it to show how your character’s emotions affect his or her actions.
- Use it to help you show rather than tell your reader everything.
- Use it in moderation. If overused, it can slow your story down.